ANNOUNCEMENTS/REPORTS Fall 2017
Applications Open for Summer 2018 Ethics Fellowship in Journalism in Germany
Fellowships at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics (FASPE) is now accepting applications for its 2018 journalism program. The program uses the conduct of reporters and other media professionals during the Holocaust and in Nazi Germany as a launching point for an intensive course of study on contemporary journalism ethics.
FASPE is predicated upon the power of place. Fellows visit Auschwitz and other sites in Germany and Poland where they consider how to apply the lessons of history to the ethical challenges of journalism today.
- FASPE Journalism is open to graduate students going into journalism, as well as working journalists early in their careers.
- Ten to 15 Fellows will be chosen for the 2016 program, which will run from Friday, May 20 through Thursday, June 2.
- All program costs, including travel to Europe from New York and back, European travel, lodging, and food are covered.
- FASPE Journalism is part of a program offering fellowships in several professional fields. Journalism Fellows travel and share some seminars with Business and Law Fellows.
- Completed applications are due by Thursday, January 4, 2018.
- To apply or to learn more about FASPE, visit: www.FASPE.info.
Call for Programs - Excellence in Journalism Conference 2018
Since 2011, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Radio Television Digital News Association have partnered to host an annual conference that provides journalists with the industry’s best training and networking opportunities. The conference was named the Excellence in Journalism (EIJ) conference in order to provide an opportunity for other organizations to partner with SPJ and RTDNA on the event.
This year’s Excellence in Journalism 2018 will be held from September 27 to 29, 2018 in Baltimore, MD.
The Radio Television Digital News Association and Society of Professional Journalists are accepting program proposals for their Excellence in Journalism 2018 conference. If you have an idea for a conference session and are interested in taking part in the conference, you can submit a proposal.
- For more information, and to submit a program proposal, visit: http://excellenceinjournalism.org/call-programs/
- Deadline for program proposal submissions is January 16, 2018.
- Conference registration information is forthcoming.
Nominations for Ancil Payne Award for Ethics in Journalism
The University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication is now accepting nominations for the Annual Ancil Payne Award for Ethics in Journalism. The nomination deadline is February 15, 2018. Up to three $5,000 awards are given annually. More information is available at the link below including information about nomination requirements, last year's winners, and a link to nomination forms.
- Deadline for Nominations: February 15, 2018
- For more information: http://journalism.uoregon.edu/events/payne-awards/
Save the Date - 2018 AEJMC Annual Conference: August 6 - 9, 2018
The Media Ethics Division (MED) will soon be accepting paper proposals for the 2018 AEJMC Annual Conference in Minneapolis, MN on August 6 - 9, 2018.
Special interest will be given to panels that attract the co-sponsorship of another AEJMC Division or Interest Group. Details on the Divisions and Interest Groups within AEJMC are available at http://www.aejmc.com/?page_id=190.
- For more information about the AEJMC and the Annual Conference, go to http://www.aejmc.org/home/events/
8th Annual Social Media Technology Conference & Workshop
Co-Hosted by Bowie State University and Howard University, the 8th Annual Social Media Technology Conference & Workshop is a two-day intensive conference on October 4 - 5, 2018 designed to enlighten conference-goers about new scholarship, professional practices and pedagogical approaches to teaching Social Media Technologies.
Interested individuals can send in papers, workshop ideas and panel proposals that address a myriad of topics surrounding the theme—Social Media: Safe Spaces or Dangerous Terrain. This year’s theme focuses on dissecting how the beneficial social connections provided by social media are being jeopardized by dark forces that threaten our individual voices, our privacy and security and even our democracy.
The call for papers for the 8th annual Social Media Technology Conference and Workshop seeks to examine these challenges and new possibilities as social media mature into mainstream and create opportunities for scholars, practitioners and observers to make more informed assessments about the direction of social media and the internet and their impact on our virtual and actual lives.
- Located at Howard University, Washington, D.C.
- For more information, and to submit paper, panel, or workshop submissions, visit http://socialmediatechnologyconference.com
Recent Events (Summer & Fall 2017)
The Walter Cronkite Conference on Media Ethics and Integrity
- Conference Date: October 26, 2017
Media educators, students and professionals were invited to submit completed research papers, abstracts and suggestions for hot topics panels for the third annual Walter Cronkite Conference on Media Ethics and Integrity, sponsored by Missouri Western State University and the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Media Ethics division.
While the conference had been held the last three years at MWSU in Cronkite’s hometown of St. Joseph, this year it was co-located with the National Collegiate Media Convention in Dallas, TX in order to reach out to college journalists.
Completed papers and abstracts were original, unpublished work that dealt with media ethics issues in contemporary and historical settings. For more information about qualifications or the conference, visit the official website: www.missouriwestern.edu/cronkiteconference
6th International Conference on Communication, Media, Technology and Design
- Conference Dates: October 6 - 8, 2017
The International Conference on Communication, Media, Technology and Design was a three-day media conference held in Famagusta, Cyprus in 2017.
Main themes aimed for the exchange of information on research, development, and applications of Communication Technologies, Social Media, Visual Communication and Design, Integrated Marketing Communication, Communication Education, Communication Barriers, Health Communication, Media Management and Economics, Political Communication and Communication and Media Studies in General.
- For more information about the conference, visit: http://www.cmdconf.net/
Broadcast Education Association Super-Regional Conference
The Broadcast Education Association and the School of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of South Carolina hosted the second annual Fall Super-Regional Conference from September 21 - 23, 2017 at Point Park University in Pittsburgh. This three-day conference featured academic training workshops, topical and timely panel discussions, and competitions for both scholarly research and creative works.
- More information can be found here: https://www.beaweb.org/OL/